The Self-Sufficient Homestead
October 25, 2014, 07:14:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Straw-Bosses will be adding & reorganizing the message boards, so be patient. Johnny MAX

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick and Cheap Goat House  (Read 2259 times)
BoatGuy
Straw-Boss
Plantation Owner

View Profile WWW
« on: June 26, 2012, 09:45:33 AM »

4 Sheets of plywood
4  T-posts
4 old rags or remnants
Baling wire

That's all it took in materials and there were only 5 cuts with a jigsaw and 4 cuts with a Skil-saw.

I've discovered that my nearby Sutherlands Lumber store sells defect plywood and OSB for 5 dollars a sheet, which is a huge savings. I've gotten 1/4" to 3/4". This project used 3 sheets of 1/4" OSB and 1 sheet of 1/4" plywood for the top, since it gets the brunt of the rain.

Cut 1 - Cut a door in a whole sheet of OSB with a jigsaw. Mine is 2'x2'.
Cut 2 & 3 - Rip 6" off the long side and 1' off the narrow end of another sheet of OSB.
Cut 4 - Cut a diagonal across this piece. I made the long side 4' and the short side 3'. This will leave an identical piece for the other side.
Cut 5 - Rip 1' off the long side of another sheet of OSB to make the back.
Cut 6, 7, 8 & 9 - Notch out spots for the t-posts in the roof of plywood, with a jigsaw.

Make the measured cuts in prep for assembly. Notch out the t-posts after assembly of the sides, because there's no way to premeasure where the t-post is going to end up, unless you are much more careful than I am, when you pound in the t-posts. I needed this done fast, so that I would have a little time left over, to post the pictures here..  Sad

I assembled the whole thing with nothing but baling wire, to make it even cheaper. The t-posts are the main structural members. The wood is nothing but a weather shield.

Once the top is on, I wrapped the t-posts with old rags before I tied it on with baling wire. This will prevent direct rain from going in, and being on top, the rags will dry out faster and be less likely to rot the wood over time.

You could also use this same method to build a hog house. But, I would use 3/4" plywood all the way around because hogs can really tear stuff up when they get mad at it.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 11:39:17 AM by BoatGuy » Logged

And the Big Bad Wolf said, "Or, I'll huff and I'll puff and WHOOOOOOA that's a nice shotgun ya got there! What is it, a Remington 870?"
BoatGuy
Straw-Boss
Plantation Owner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 09:49:36 AM »

And, the finished house....

BTW, that last picture is of my best friend in this heat. It's a little bandana that has water absorbent crystals sewn into it. When you soak it in water and hang it around your neck, it keeps you MUCH cooler.

And the Big Bad Wolf said, "Or, I'll huff and I'll puff and WHOOOOOOA that's a nice shotgun ya got there! What is it, a Remington 870?"
Johnny Max
Big Straw-Boss
Plantation Owner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 10:56:36 AM »

Very simple! Thanks for sharing Smiley

BoatGuy
Straw-Boss
Plantation Owner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 11:51:16 AM »

I should also mention that I didn't let the sides meet at a corner for a reason. If you bring the sides and back and front all together in a 90 degree corner, with a construction technique like this, its going to let wind and rain in, from almost any direction, as soon as the wood starts to warp. By insetting the sides about 3", the wind and rain has to hit almost perfectly from one direction, in order to come straight inside. The main purpose of this is to give the animals shelter from the elements and it doesn't have to be watertight to do that.

Also, I tied every panel at the corners and middle, with the baling wire.

jaredyates
Container Gardener

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 07:37:31 PM »

Looks cool!  Do you ever need to get in there to run out a broody hen or something?  How easy is it to lift the top?
BoatGuy
Straw-Boss
Plantation Owner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 08:30:18 PM »

Our hens go into the goat pens and pastures on a pretty regular basis. But, I've never had a problem with them setting up shop in the houses. I'm betting that they are afraid of getting squished.

The top is 1/4" plywood. So, it's pretty light. If I take off the baling wire, it's simple to lift it at the sides. Being 4x8 foot, taking it off is more difficult for one person, just because of the size. But, I built it by myself. So, it's not impossible at all.

jakematic
Plantation Owner

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 10:27:49 AM »

Our hens go into the goat pens and pastures on a pretty regular basis. But, I've never had a problem with them setting up shop in the houses. I'm betting that they are afraid of getting squished.

Wondering if nest boxes up high might make for a good combination house.

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

“Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value.”
BoatGuy
Straw-Boss
Plantation Owner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 11:04:20 AM »

Wondering if nest boxes up high might make for a good combination house.

Hmmmm. Never really thought about that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: