The Self-Sufficient Homestead
August 30, 2014, 01:16:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Straw-Bosses will be adding & reorganizing the message boards, so be patient. Johnny MAX

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Putting up hamburger - The leftover grease  (Read 6004 times)
jlevine
Container Gardener

View Profile WWW
« on: March 07, 2010, 04:53:22 PM »

Yesterday at the store, they had ground beef on sale really cheap.  On top of that, I was there pretty early in the morning and it looked like some had been ground the previous day and had been marked 40% off the marked price as a manager's special.  I picked up a lot of it to can as taco meat, sloppy joe, and coney sauce.  I like being able to put this up without the need for a freezer or refrigeration.  They make great simple meals and last a long time with little effort to prepare at meal time.
As I was cleaning up I had a huge bowl of grease left over.  I don't want to pour the stuff into my septic tank and clog it up.  I can't compost it.  I don't have black soldier flies to feed it to.  So I wondered what I could do with it.  I have an idea, but I'm not sure if it would work.

Could I strain it and then use it instead of lard and make soap?  Has anyone ever heard of saving a 1/2 cup here and a 1/2 cup there of the grease from cooking meat and then cleaning it up a bit and using it for soap?

Let me know if any of you think this might be a recipe for disaster.  If not I think I'm going to try it.

Simple steps to a simpler life.
June
Plantation Owner
Plantation Owner

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »

First, congratulations on a great buy.  Second, even bigger congratulations on taking care of the great buy.  So many seem to end up in the back of the fridge to rot.

Now.  Soap.  Any fat can be used for soapmaking.  If you spend a few hours and a lot of cooking fuel you may clean up your left over grease enough to produce an inferior soap that you probably won't want to use.  I have made pretty good soap from beef fat but I have always used the clean organ fat, such as can be found around the kidneys.  Your butcher may sell it as suet and price it accordingly, but if you can find someone who is sending a steer to slaughter, you can get as much as you need and probably for free.
 I don't know if you live in town or in the boon docks and I don't know if you have ever tried soap making before.  Soap making using even clean animal fats is a pretty smelly proposition. If you have close neighbours they may not fall in love with you.

As to what to do with the grease, I would probably put it in an empty tin can and throw it out with the garbage.  I know people who feed it to their dogs, but my dog doesn't need that cholesterol any more than I do.

June.

"The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me to be the root of all the evil that is in the world."
Johnny Max
Big Straw-Boss
Plantation Owner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 07:39:06 PM »

My Papaw used to use it to make dog food. He would just grind up grain and mix all the fat dripping in it and boil it on the stove. Not sure if he put water in it too, because
i was just a little kit, but that it what the farm dog Spot ate and Tom the cat too, if he was lucky.

cave dweller
Plantation Owner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 11:28:36 PM »

Grease will go rancid, so unless you refrigerate it, cooking with it is out. Freeze it and use it is gravy?

Um, cotton twine and a mason jar might make a cozy (smelly) oil lamp.

Gee, I hate wasting stuff. What to do with hamburger grease?
Fry potatoes? make broth... Whatever you try, let us know what happened.

How can we feed the world?
How can we create conditions to enable every community to feed itself?

Socrates did nothing more than encourage people to think. For this, they killed him.
jlevine
Container Gardener

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 07:54:37 PM »

Thanks for the ideas.
I'm out in the country so I'm not too worried about the smell if I do it down wind and outside.  The guy downwind is the same one whose dog keeps getting at my chickens.   Angry

The thought of the fuel cost vs. the reward on the soap is a down side though.
Thanks again!

Simple steps to a simpler life.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: